|Contact name:||Maria Elkin|
|Published:||28 days ago|
Equal Justice is a digitally-committed community impact organisation that launched in July 2020 as both a spin-off and a start-up. We provide access to justice solutions.
EQJ’s mission is to help people anticipate, prevent, and solve their legal problems by bringing practical legal education, information and support into the community. Society benefits when every person facing a legal problem gets the support they need.
EQJ is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. Instead, we act as a conduit for legal conversations and consultations between those in need and those who know, by focusing on three areas:
1. Legal Services: Connecting those in need with those who can help. Our legal case workers and collaborative lawyers provide information and support.
2. Education: Helping people understand the law and empowering them to help themselves.
3. Research: Focusing society on the needs we see and the collective impact of helping, while fostering long term support and change for good.
Equal Justice 平義社 is seeking a committed and highly motivated Legal Case Officer to support legally underserved people as part of our Services Team. This is a full-time, paid position.
Deadline for application: Sunday 18 July, 2021 by 6pm HKT.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Opportunity to have impact by supporting legally underserved population in a purpose-driven start-up environment.
1. Educate clients to understand their legal rights and obligations;
2. Help clients manage their legal cases - this includes researching topical case law, preparing case summaries, gathering evidence to prepare legal bundles to instruct lawyers, referring clients to and attending meeting with lawyers, accompanying clients to attend appointments with Government Departments and NGOs partners;
3. Deliver legal training to community, NGOs workers and partner law firms; and
4. Where required, support law and policy improvements through community engagement.
1. Duration: initial one-year contract.
2. Location: primarily Community Legal Information Centre in Yau Ma Tei.
3. Weekly hours: full-time (40 hours per week), although there may be some flexibility on number of hours.
4. Pay: HK$15,000-20,000 per month, depending upon experience.
5. 30 days annual leave per calendar year.
1. Graduate degree in law, political science, international relations, public administration or related fields. Preference will be given to applicants who have studied Hong Kong law and have some (1-3) years' work experience in helping people/client services;
2. Have a demonstrated interest in social justice and public interest law;
3. Be fluent in written and spoken English and ideally Cantonese. Knowledge of Bahasa Indonesian and/or Tagalog would be an advantage;
4. Be a dynamic team communicator and player, a quick learner who is able to work under pressure and in a growing environment;
5. Be comfortable with, and committed to operating within, our core values: open, inclusive, people-centred, and transparent; and
6. Be excited about working in a start-up environment and the opportunities and challenges that brings.
Applicants with more extensive and/or more relevant work experience may be considered for a Legal Case Manager position.
HOW TO APPLY
Your document must state “Equal Justice Legal Case Officer [YOUR NAME]” in the subject line; and include your CV, Letter of Interest with contact details of two referees, ideal start date;
Equal Justice 平義社 is a committed equal opportunities employer. It is also a signatory of the Equal Opportunities Commission’s Racial Diversity & Inclusion Charter for Employers.
Data sent by you to Equal Justice 平義社 in connection with this application will be retained by Equal Justice for 6 months after the hiring process completes. All information and personal data provided by you to us as part of this recruitment process will be treated with discretion and will be used for recruiting for the Legal Case Officer role only.